For the past several months, I’ve been hard at work with Sam Richard on my first editorial project, an anthology called The New Flesh: A Literary Tribute to David Cronenberg. And now, after all this time, we’re finally able to share the official table of contents.
But first, flashback to BizarroCon 2016. Sam Richard and I had met less than an hour ago. We were drunk on free beer and chatting about everything from J.G. Ballard to body horror. The conversation then steered toward themed anthologies. We both remarked how cool it would be if there was a collection of stories inspired by the films of David Cronenberg (much like the David Lynch-themed In Heaven Everything is Fine, edited by Cameron Pierce). We agreed that–if ever given the chance–we would work on the project together. And, of course, years later, a drunken fantasy became reality.
It’s been a privilege working with so many amazing writers. We can’t wait to unleash these stories on the world. This book will be a must buy for fans of the horror genre.
So without further ado, here are the stories:
1) A Bad Patch – Brian Evenson
2) Red Lips in a Blue Light – Sara Century
3) Descrambler – C.M. Muller
4) Lackers – Leo X Robertson
5) Hekati Yoga – Max D. Stanton
6) Convex – Emma Alice Johnson
7) Seminar – Cody Goodfellow
8) Emergence – Bruno Lombardi
9) Genital Freak – Katy Michelle Quinn
10) Elk: An Oral History of an Abandoned Film (1987) – Jack Lothian
11) The Taint is Saintly with Her Welcome – Mona Swan LeSueur & Fiona Maeve Geist
12) Typhoid Ananya – Madeleine Swann
13) A Future of Violence – Charles Austin Muir
14) Orificially Compromised – Ryan Harding
15) Limbs – Alex Smith
16) A New Mother’s Guide to Raising an Abomination – Gwendolyn Kiste
17) Human Clay – Brendan Vidito
18) Reborn of Ash – Sam Richard
The cover art shown above was masterfully created by Michael Bukowski. Also, check out this amazing internal art by the iconic and incomparable Jim Agpalza!